<h2 class = 'uawtitle'>My Battle With Depression</h2><br />
<div style='font-style:italic;' class='uawbyline'>by Maribel Lage</div><br /><br />
<div class='uawarticle'>I had asked myself in front of the mirror one, "am I depressed?" I had to laugh at the thought because looking back at the mirror, I could hardly recognize myself; I was 20 pounds overweight and had skin sagging under my eyes. I would feel exhausted everyday I wake up, and I would jump at any chance to take a nap. I did not get a haircut in months, perhaps even a year, and I did not bother ironing anything during all that time. I was depressed for sure, did I really needed to ask myself that?<br />
<br />
I did not look for help once I considered myself depressed. Who would? If you've ever been depressed, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. You continue to think that everything will blow over soon. That you'll wake up tomorrow and everything will be back to normal, that you'll finally get off the couch and actually go do something worthwhile.<br />
<br />
Once I figured it out, it was already too late because I drowning myself with negative thoughts and depressed moods. Gloomy much? The dictionary should have included my face next to the word!<br />
<br />
I had no idea what to do. I found out that I had a problem, but how do I start researching? How do you dig yourself out from a hole of that size? It was difficult, but I did it, and the first thing I did was to join the gym down by my house. Because the gym requires a monthly fee, it motivated me to get out of the house to utilize their equipment because I do not like to waste money, and once I am committed to something, I will not back out of it. It took three weeks for me to go to the gym for three times in a week, and I started to feel my blood moving a bit quicker, like I was actually interested in something instead of letting the days pass by without me.<br />
<br />
The first step made it work. I built that momentum to actually start moving, and everything else began to fall into place for me. Having positive people surrounding me instead of the negative people made it much easier for me to continue my goal. While that may not sound like a very nice thing to do, I couldn't help myself. Why should I make things harder on myself than they already were? The action seemed to help because I was not pretending to be upbeat anymore; my energy was improving, and I was feeling good about myself getting a workout and getting out of the house in general.<br />
<br />
Let me say that getting out of the house was not exactly a comfortable situation for me. I really didn't want to go. I would have preferred staying home and playing on my computer, hiding behind any number of busy tasks I had set for myself, none of which would actually bring me in contact with people. But I forced myself to do it, to get out there and socialize, to interact with people even though I didn't want to and would much rather have just holed up somewhere.<br />
<br />
I also started taking time for myself; not time to sit and brood, but time to do things I'd always wanted to do. I signed up for a yoga class and picked up some books on gardening and actually put in an herb garden. All of this took a lot of concentration, but it was for things that I enjoyed rather than the negative aspects of my depression.<br />
<br />
I will admit that depression is no fun. It can be lonely and alienating and make you feel as if you are worth all of about two cents. But the thing is, you know yourself better than anyone else possibly could, which means that you will be able to tell which things work in helping to relieve the negativity and lift the shroud of pain. I looked in the mirror yesterday and asked myself the question again, "am I depressed?" and I was finally able to tell myself, no!<br />
<br />
</div><br />
<div class='uawresource'><br />
<div style='font-style:italic;' class='uawabout'><br />
About the Author:<br />
</div><br />
<div class='uawlinks'>Learn more about <a href='http://mentalhealthnursing.org/am-i-depressed/'>dealing with depression</a>.</div><br />
</div><br />
<hr><br />
<p>You are receiving this because you signed up for it on 2012-03-18 from IP 108.66.210.38</p><br />
<p>To fine-tune your selection of which articles to receive, just <a href='http://www.uniquearticlewizard.com/bloggers/'>login here</a><br>using your username: </p><br />
<p>To unsubscribe please use the following link:<br><br />
<a href='http://www.uniquearticlewizard.com/unsubscribe.php?mail=kelvinrogersholdings.empowered@blogger.com&code=36575044a9355309bd227467121a74cc'>Unsubscribe</a><br />
<hr><br />
<br />
---------------------------------<br />
New Unique Article!<br />
<br />
Title: My Battle With Depression<br />
Author: Maribel Lage<br />
Email: adsites@uberarticles.com<br />
Keywords: depression,mental health,self help,health<br />
Word Count: 685<br />
Category: Motivation<br />
---------------------------------
No comments:
Post a Comment